CINCINNATI, OH - OCTOBER 15: Butch Jones the head coach of the Cincinnati Bearcats gives instructions to his team during the game against the Louisville Cardinals at Paul Brown Stadium at Paul Brown Stadium on October 15, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
This being Tuesday of a game week it was time for Butch Jones's weekly press conference. As ever the video is available to stream from gobearcats.com here. What follows below are my notes on the proceedings
- Butch is obviously jacked about playing Football again.
- Thinks the two keys will be tackling and special teams, two areas of the game where the Bearcats excelled a year ago.
- Lots and lots of coachspeak when asked about Youngstown States upset. Butch Jones is like a many armed hindu god of banal football generalities.
- Really excited about the size and scope of the stage the Bearcats will inhabit Thursday in the first game. Makes a great point on how this game has become a new normal.
- Butch is selling Pitt by talking about the skill position guys. No mention of the offensive line, for obvious reasons
- "Munchie Legaux doesn't need to win the game for us" not exactly a ringing endorsement
- Concerned with Pitt's ability to take, and capitalize on their deep shots off play action.
- Butch doesn't buy into the Division 1, 1-AA bullshit. Good for you Butch, good for you.
- Hated not playing on Saturday.
- Wants to resume the River City Rivalry at some point. This is the last match up on the books with Pitt bailing for the ACC