What the Bearcats do lacks the prestige and history of what the Black Knights do. Nor does it have anything like the comedy of the UNC/Duke fiasco. At least it hasn't since the Bearcat was grounded, permanently, for obvious reasons. But it is still one of the experiences that makes games at Nippert so unique, particularly at night.
There is simply nothing quite like looking to the sky and losing all sense of depth and perspective as the skydivers reach for, ignite and burn out one flair after the other. I am pretty sure it was Mike Waddell who started the tradition, but it is as much a part of Cincinnati Football as the charge down the stadium steps. Its how we all know that kickoff is close.
More from Down The Drive:
- Position Breakdown: Small Forward
- Bearcats Football Team To Be Featured On ESPNU All Access
- Which Bowls Are In Play For The Bearcats In 2014?
- Position Breakdown: Shooting Guard
- Connecticut Huskies Statistical Profile