We have reached the final day of the year 2018 and the Cincinnati Bearcats have one last thing to check off their to-do list, as they will face the Virginia Tech Hokies in the Military Bowl at Navy-Marine Corps. Memorial Stadium.
- Kickoff: 12:30 p.m. ET
- Television/Stream: ESPN/ESPN app (Here’s a handy guide to what services you can find ESPN and other channels on if you don’t have cable. Shout out to Red Cup Rebellion)
- Announcing crew: Mike Corey (play-by-play), Rene Ingoglia (analyst) and Alex Corddry (sideline reporter)
- Radio: 700 WLW AM/XM 384/Internet 965
- Announcing crew: Dan Hoard (play-by-play), Jim Kelly Jr. (analyst) and Tony Pike (sideline reporter)
- Series history: It has been four years since the Bearcats and Hokies last met. Coincidentally, that was also in the Military Bowl. Virginia Tech won that game 33-17 and leads the all-time series 6-5.
Ten wins, a top 20 defense and a host of postseason accolades will all seem less meaningful if the Bearcats (10-2) don’t win this game. Luke Fickell has done a stunning job of coaching in his second year at the helm, with the Bearcats earning their first bowl trip since 2015 and first 10-win season since 2012. A win on Monday will be the final piece of the rebuilding puzzle.
Former Memphis head coach Justin Fuente is still reshaping Virginia Tech (6-6), which was nationally ranked during this season, but largely under performed before rallying to win their last two games of the regular season. Those victories punched the Hokies’ ticket to the Military Bowl. They have been to a bowl in 26-straight seasons, which is the longest such streak in the country.