After the first top ten victory in program history, the beatdown of a former head coach and the emergence into a nationally recognized playoff contender, the Cincinnati Bearcats are set to face off in their first Friday night game of the year against the Temple Owls.
The Bearcats, who tallied a 24-13 triumph over Notre Dame this past weekend, enter the sixth week of the 2021 college football season as the No. 5 team in the nation (according to the AP Poll). Among the few squads standing in front of them is a pair from the SEC (Alabama and Georgia) and another in the Big Ten (Iowa and Penn State). With the Big Ten’s top two dogs ready to face off this weekend, the Bearcats own the prospect of entering inside the top four of the polls next week.
Cincinnati’s opponent this week is that of Temple. The Temple Owls finished last season in a pretty dire situation with a last place finish in the AAC, but a 3-2 start (including a marquee victory against the Memphis Tigers) has revitalized the program back from the bottom of their conference.
- Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. ET, Friday, October 8, 2021
- Location: Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Television/Stream: ESPN
- Online/Mobile App: ESPN+
- Television Announcing Crew: Clay Matvick (play-by-play), Rocky Boiman (analyst) and Tiffany Blackman (sideline reporter)
- Radio: 700-AM WLW/ Sirius 211 / XM 202 / Internet 970 / The Varsity Network: “Search Cincinnati” for mobile devices
- Radio Announcing Crew: Dan Hoard (play-by-play) and Jim Kelly Jr. (analyst)
- Series History: Temple holds the series advantage against Cincinnati with a record of 13-8-1. The Owls last defeated the Bearcats in 2018 by a margin of 24-17 before losing to Cincinnati the following year (2019) in a 15-13 defensive slugfest.
The current spread of Friday night’s fight stands at (-29) in favor of Cincinnati. UC is 4-1 ATS in their last five and 14-1 straight up in their last 15. Temple, on the other hand, comes in at 4-9 in their last 13 games ATS, even despite going 5-0 on the road in their last five against Cincinnati in terms of beating the spread. The Owls are also 4-1 straight up in clashes with the Bearcats in their previous five meetings.
Friday’s over/under clocks in at 54 points. The Bearcats have been consistently hitting the under both in recent history as a whole and specifically against Temple, with tallies of 13 of their last 20 falling below the margin and 4 for 6 vs the Owls.